Heavy Trucks and Buses
Concerning Commercial Vehicles and Buses AMVIR pursues the following:
- Initiatives for fleet renewal with the aim to reduce the average age of circulating heavy vehicles. This is very important especially for trucks, as almost half of them are over 20 years old!
- Introduction of disincentives for the use of older, less safe and polluting vehicles.
- The elimination of Registration Tax, since these vehicles are tools and not a general mean of transportation.
- Improvement and maintenance of the fleet’s good condition through "on the road" inspections and constant technical monitoring carried out by the Periodical Technical Inspection Centers.
- The immediate amendment of the "Green Ring" measure, which is in effect from September 1st 2012, so as to restrict 22 years aged polluted heavy commercial vehicles to enter in Athens' city centre.
- Option for private enterprises of renting rather than buying trucks, since it will help them cover their transportation needs without being forced to increase their assets.